Home  |  BCHS Info  |  Polk City History  |  Restoration of City Hall  |  Big Creek Players

  Museum Information  |  Newsletters  |  Past Events



Preserving the Past for the Future

Restoration of City Hall

Restoration of historic city hall in Polk City, Iowa built in 1863 was completed in 2009. A brief history of the building and the timeline for the restoration follows. The building was built of native black walnut as a two story framed school house in 1863. The structure served as a school for thirty years. In 1894 Polk City purchased the building to be used for city government. The first floor was used for city government functions and the second floor was used as a community gathering center for approximately fifty years. Activities such as traveling troupes/shows, movies, dances, roller skating, basketball, church services and small bore skeet shooting by the local Boy Scout troop took place on the second floor. The structure is one of the longest serving municipal buildings in Iowa. In 2002 a lease was signed between the city and the Big Creek Historical Society for unused space on the first floor of city hall and the entire second floor. This was the start of the seven year restoration project. In August 2004, the structure was placed on the National Register of Historic Places. Restoration work began in 2005 with the restoration of 980 square feet on the first floor, the cupola and the main entrance. That work was completed in 2006. Restoration of the building’s exterior and the interior of the second floor began in 2008 and were completed in April 2009.

The restoration project has ensured that the historic structure will stand on the town square of Polk City for many years to come. The building will once again serve the community as a gathering place, as well as, house area history and artifacts. Reservations for the use of Miller Hall, on the second floor, can be made by contacting the Big Creek Historical Society The second floor, restored to the 1915 era, will serve as a venue for the Big Creek Players telling area history through the performances of their one act plays.

Click here for pictures of the restoration project.